Ecopath with Ecosim (EwE) is a free ecological/ecosystem modeling software suite. EwE has three main components: Ecopath – a static, mass-balanced snapshot of the system; Ecosim – a time dynamic simulation module for policy exploration; and Ecospace – a spatial and temporal dynamic module primarily designed for exploring impact and placement of protected areas. The Ecopath software package can be used to
- Address ecological questions;
- Evaluate ecosystem effects of fishing;
- Explore management policy options;
- Analyze impact and placement of marine protected areas;
- Predict movement and accumulation of contaminants and tracers (Ecotracer);
- Model effect of environmental changes;
- Facilitate end-to-end model construction.
The latest release of Ecopath with Ecosim is version 6.5, released in July 2016.
EwE runs on a wide range of Windows versions. Due to changes in the technical landscape we may have to drop support for Windows XP in the next release. Will that affect you?