Ecopath with Ecosim (EwE) is a free ecological/ecosystem modeling software suite. EwE has three main components: Ecopath – a static, mass-balanced snapshot of the system; Ecosim – a time dynamic simulation module for policy exploration; and Ecospace – a spatial and temporal dynamic module primarily designed for exploring impact and placement of protected areas. The Ecopath software package can be used to
- Address ecological questions;
- Evaluate ecosystem effects of fishing;
- Explore management policy options;
- Analyze impact and placement of marine protected areas;
- Predict movement and accumulation of contaminants and tracers (Ecotracer);
- Model effect of environmental changes;
- Facilitate end-to-end model construction.
The latest release of Ecopath with Ecosim is version 6.5, released in July 2016.
22 December 2018: EwE 6.6 Beta is over. The beta installers have been downloaded over 1200 times, and we have received a number of useful reports. Many thanks to all who contributed. We plan to release EwE 6.6 in May 2019 once all important issues have been addressed.
With the release of EwE 6.6 we will start offering the ability to purchase a professional version of EwE.